The Galapagos, Ecuador - Day 1

We left our hotel in Quito at 8 am for a 9:10 am flight, with the hotel owners assuring us that we had plenty of time to get onto our plane. Once again, we were cutting it close for a flight (one day this going to catch up with us). With all the confusion between Spanish and English, which ticket counter to go to (we went to 4 different ones), and what needs to be done at the security checkpoint, we were arriving at the gate as the plane started boarding.

Thank God I decided to go with LAN instead of Aerogal. LAN is the major carrier in South America, and boy was their plane swanky. Plush leather seats, ice cold A/C, and hilarious in-flight entertainment WITH FREE SNACKS. Even though with landing in Guayaquil, it was only a 3 hour flight, it was made so much more enjoyable by all the amenities.

After we landed, got through customs, and got on the bus that will take us to the ferry, this was our first impression of The Galapagos:


When did we get back to Nevada?

Oh good, some water:



If you fly into Baltra and stay in Puerto Ayora (one of the two major towns in The Galapagos), then you need to take a ferry ($0.80) and then either a bus or taxi. The taxis are really just white pickup trucks (about Toyota Tacoma sized) and the buses are around Greyhound standard. Before I left, I read many places that the buses are hot and cramped and it would be worth it to take a taxi ($15.00 verses $2.00 for the bus). Not so. Take the bus. It was just fine, comfortable seats, and roll down a window if your hot! Its worth saving the 13 bucks. 


The landscape started improving once we got closer to Puerto Ayora. We were vastly relieved:


There were swans waiting for us in hotel room (better be for fricken 90 bucks a night!). 




We were walking to the national park on the island when Alex grabbed me to stop me from stepping on something. It was the largest Iguana I've ever seen, and I almost whacked it in the head with my flip flop. I'm sure it would have gotten pissed and bit me, and I would have died from some weird Iguana disease. Thanks for saving my life Alex. 


Alex was head over heels in love with these crabs. Wouldn't shut up about the damn things. 



This pelican almost took me out when he swooped into the fish market. There were quite a few of them begging for fish. The people kept swatting them away as if they were pests. And us and all the rest of the tourists were excitedly taking pictures and posing with the animals. 




Some more Iguanas. They just lie in the middle of the road and kinda shuffle out of the way after you get to close. So me sticking my camera right in their face is where that point is. 



The finches let you get crazy close too. I normally don't like birds, but come on, these are famous. I have to like famous birds, right?


We were walking along the beach when I realized the sand was almost totally sea shells and coral. Just look at a handful of it:



And our first Giant Tortoise! The pictures don't do them justice. They were gargantuan! We couldn't get very close since they were in pins and heavily protected (though some of the tourists climbed right into their sanctuaries. I wish we didn't have so much class sometimes...). There are some roaming around in the wild now, so were hoping to see some later on the other islands. 



Baby Giant Tortoises. Oh wait, I didn't say that right. BABY GIANT TORTOISES.



This guy:


photo-bombing a seal skeleton, and there's one of my famous awkward faces again. Glad I still got it:


Our romantic getaway included a very nosy shark. He pointed out that looking at the camera while kissing looks stupid, and we should try to look more natural when we fake these obviously unnatural moments of romantic bliss:


Back at the fish market, a seal came to join the pelicans. Again, the tourists were up in its face trying to capture its cuteness, and all it wanted was a scrap of fish or two:


The dock where were supposed to meet our boat....


In a couple of hours. After that, who knows when I'll get to internet again? I'm assuming the boat isn't a moving hot spot, but with modern technology, it seems I'm always able to update my Facebook status. Even in one of the most remote locations in the world! So unless by some modern miracle I get the post again this week, don't expect to here from us until were back in Quito, shuffling through the airport again.

Comments

Popular Posts